St Denis Parish

Welcome to St Denis Catholic Parish

Versailles Ohio 

 

St. St Denis and Holy Family trace their beginnings back to the founding of St. Valbert's Parish in 1839. St. Valbert's was established by Bishop John Baptist Purcell to serve the French settlers in Jacksonville (Versailles), Champaigne (Frenchtown), Russia and Newport. Fr. Louis Navarron was named the pastor. The location, the current St. Valbert's cemetery, was chosen as it is central to those communities.

In 1864, the parishioners of St. Valbert decided to move into the village of Versailles.  They settled on a new name for their parish. St. Denis was chosen. He was the first bishop of Paris, France, appointed in the 3rd century. He led his people during a time of widespread persecution which lead to his death by beheading. The legend is that he picked up his head and walked a mile with it. That legend is depicted in the statue that is at the south church entrance. The Church in France was growing in its love of Christ. The early parishioners wanted that same kind of community where the love of Christ was very much alive.

In 1888, the parish bought the property surrounded by South Center Street, East Wood Street, Second Street and East Ward Street. A church was built and a school (1893-94) and convent followed. By 1961, the parish out grew the church. The church was torn down and a new church was dedicated in June 1962.

The church building tells the story of our French heritage in the stained glass windows on the south side and the Mass on the north side.

 

Contact Us

2017 Parish Bulletins

Mass Schedule

Letter for CCD Registration

New Student Registration Form

PERMISSION, RELEASE AND MEDICAL POWER OF ATTORNEY Form

2017-2018 CCD Schedule

Hall Rental

Cemetery Committee

Baptismal Preparation

Confirmation Preparation

Eucharist Preparation

First Reconciliation Preparation

Preparation for Marriage

Funeral Preparation

Viaticum, the last Sacrament of the Christian

 

 

 

Additional information